Donate Banner

Donate Banner
Click the banner to donate and be sure to mention that Tabitha sent you!

Thursday, June 23, 2011

Making a Difference

I remember being thirteen-ish and getting up really early one Saturday morning. I headed out with my shorts and headband (of course I looked cool) and started jogging. My plan was to become a “jogger” I thought it was neat and easy, what more do you need other than your feet, right? Well, if memory serves, I think I might have eaten a banana, being thirteen I was ignorant (not totally stupid). I made it down my street then came back. I never ever jogged again. Why? It was a hot day in Savannah, I didn’t drink any water so had a splitting headache before I made it home.

Now in the past few years I’ve walked in my neighborhood for exercise. Most of the time when my friend calls and tells me to get off my butt but more recently, with my daughter in college and my friend gone to work, hhmm “the butt said putt.”  My husband and son play disc golf (for those of you who don’t know what that is, it is like golf but with baskets and discs instead of holes and balls) and, as I said, my daughter has been off at college in Jacksonville, FL. This leaves me with more time on my hands than I have had in years. All the years since becoming a mom, it is very enlightening to find yourself in that place. I started evaluating my “hobbies” and interests. Whoa! Disney and traveling, well of course family and pets, but Disney is my main weakness, and I am always online researching our next trip or planning something for someone else. My favorite place online to go is AllEars.net; I read articles and blogs and listen to podcasts. It was there that I learned about Team AllEars.

One night in April I was listening to a live podcast about the team, and walking in the Disney Marathon; (Ya know the funny thing is, I wasn’t even walking for exercise then. I mean I had before, but not recently. I was just interested in anything Disney) they were a team, no, they were friends actually, and to hear them talk about what they were doing to help was inspiring. It’s amazing how complete strangers can be brought together. I had to be a part of this. I have a really good friend who went through some issues with cancer this year. It wasn’t breast cancer, but to me that was a minor detail. I just want to beat it. I don’t want that word to put fear in anyone anymore.  

I never thought about doing anything that would make a difference. I realize I am one person, but I am one person of a group that will make a difference. I am helping, and it feels good!

Every step I take is a step closer; step closer to my goal; a step closer to the marathon and maybe a step closer to a cure.

No comments:

Post a Comment